Main Article Content
The paper aims at uncovering the lived experience of a senior high school English teacher after utilizing Google Classroom as a digital teaching tool during the pandemic era, in the last semester of the academic year 2019-2020. This study was a descriptive qualitative inquiry. The researchers did an in-depth interview and participatory observation to gather the data. The participants of this study were an English teacher and students from a State Senior High School 4 Tebo in Jambi Province Indonesia. The findings reveal the benefits and lack of Google Classroom for both students and teachers. Indeed, Google Classroom proposed a brand-new way of transferring English material to students from which they felt joy and facilitated to learn English. However, the quality of internet connections and time allotment of each meeting brought about weaknesses since the teacher was lacking time to accommodate all topics during the semester.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Albashtawi, A., & Al Bataineh, K. (2020). The effectiveness of google classroom among EFL students in Jordan: an innovative teaching and learning online platform. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (IJET), 15(11), 78-88.
- Adinlou, N. A., & Far, L. M. (2014). The relationship of self-efficacy beliefs, writing strategies, and the correct use of conjunctions in Iranian EFL learners. International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature, 3(4), 221-227. http://dx.doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.3n.4p.221
- Al-Emran, M., & Malik, S. I. (2016). The impact of google apps at work: higher educational perspective. International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM), 10(4), 85-88. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v13i06.8275
- Al-Maroof, R. A. S., & Al-Emran, M. (2018). Students acceptance of Google classroom: An exploratory study using PLS-SEM approach. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET), 13(06), 112-123. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijim.v10i4.6181
- Angeli, C., Howard, S. K., Ma, J., Yang, J., & Kirschner, P. A. (2017). Data mining in educational technology classroom research: Can it make a contribution? Computers & Education, 113, 226-242.
- Apriyanti, D., Syarif, H., Ramadhan, S., Zaim, M., & Agustina, A. (2019). TechnologyBased Google Classroom in English Business Writing Class. Paper presented at the Seventh International Conference on Languages and Arts (ICLA 2018). https://doi.org/10. 2991/icla-18.2019.113
- Azhar, K. A., & Iqbal, N. (2018). Effectiveness of Google classroom: Teachers’ perceptions. Prizren Social Science Journal, 2(2), 52-66.
- Beal, V. (2017). Google Classroom. Retrieved September 15, 2020, from Webopedia: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/google-classroom.html
- Cresswell, J. W. (2009), Research design quantitative, qualitative and mixed method approaches. London: Sage
- Dewi, N., Zahrowi, E., & Sulistyawati, M. E. S. The Implementation of Google Classroom in Improving Students’ reading Comprehension at MAN 4 Jakarta.
- Heggart, K. R., & Yoo, J. (2018). Getting the most from Google Classroom: A pedagogical framework for tertiary educators. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 43(3), 9. http://dx.doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2018v43n3.9
- I. N. M. Shaharanee, J. Et al. (2016) “The Application of Google Classroom as a Tool for Teaching and Learning,” 8 (10), 5–8.
- Jacobs, P. (2013) The Challenges of Online Courses for The Instructor. Research in Higher Education Journal (21), 1-18.
- J. E. Gallagher, K. Et al. (2005). “Webbased vs. Traditional Classroom Instruction in Gerontology": A Pilot Study,” 79 (3), 1–10.
- Iftakhar, S. (2016). Google classroom: what works and how. Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 3(1), 12-18.
- Isman, A., & Altinay, F. (2005). Communication Barriers: A Study of Eastern Mediterranean University Students' and Teachers' of Online Program and Courses. Online Submission, 6(4), 138-160.
- Makarim, N. (2020). Ministry of Education Decree Number 4-year 2020. Jakarta: Ministry of Education.
- Janzen, M. (2014). "Hot team: Google Classroom", Teaching and Learning with Technology, [Online]. Available: http://tlt.psu.edu/2014/12/04/hot-team- google-classroom/.
- Mualim, M., Ma’rufah, D. W., & Sartika, E. (2019). The Strengths and Pitfalls of Google Classroom Application to Gen-Z Students’ Learning Hybridity. In Proceeding International Conference on Islamic Education (ICIED), 4 (1), 297-301.
- Mulyono, H. (2016). Using Quipper as an online platform for teaching and learning English as a foreign language (EFL). Researchgate.net. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Curriculumavailable-in-Quipper database_fig6_306771014
- Pappas, C. (2015). Google Classroom review: Pros and cons of using Google Classroom in elearning. URL: https://elearningindustry. com/google-classroomreview-pros-and-cons-of-using-google-classroom-in-elearning.
- Putra, I. N. T. D. (2020). Students’ Attitudes in Learning English for Tourism Using Google Classroom in Mataram Tourism College. Jo-ELT (Journal of English Language Teaching) Fakultas Pendidikan Bahasa & Seni Prodi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris IKIP, 7(1), 9-17. https://doi.org/10.33394/jo-elt.v7i1.2735
- Rabbi, M. M. F., Zakaria, A. K. M., & Tonmoy, M. (2018). Teaching Listening Skill through Google Classroom: A Study at Tertiary Level in Bangladesh.
- Ramadhani, R., Umam, R., Abdurrahman, A., & Syazali, M. (2019). The effect of flipped-problem based learning model integrated with LMS-google classroom for senior high school students. Journal for the Education of Gifted Young Scientists, 7(2), 137-158.
- Shaharanee, I. N. M., Jamil, J. M., & Rodzi, A. S. S. M. (2016). The application of Google Classroom as a tool for teaching and learning. Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering, 8(10), 5–8.
- Stem, J. (2019). Introduction to Online Teaching and Learning. Retrieved from http://www.edu/online/documents/otl.pdf.
- Stroud, C. (2010). Google Classroom: A White Paper. Connecting Technology & Curriculum. Winthrop University. Retrieved on November 6, 2015 from http://coe.winthrop.edu/
- Sukmawati, S., & Nensia, N. (2019). The Role of Google Classroom in ELT. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Studies, 1(2), 142-145. https://doi.org/10.29103/ijevs.v1i2.1526
- Syafi'i, A. (2020). Google Classroom as Learning Platform in Teaching Writing. British (Jurnal Bahasa dan Sastra Inggris), 9(1), 48-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.31314/british.9.1.%25p.2020.
- Subandoro, P. S., & Sulindra, E. (2019). Optimizing Collaborative Learning: Using Google Classroom in Business English Correspondence Class. Vocatio: Jurnal Ilmiah Ilmu Administrasi dan Sekretari, 2(1), 46-66.
- Ventayen, R. J. M., Estira, K. L. A., De Guzman, M. J., Cabaluna, C. M., & Espinosa, N. N. (2018). Usability evaluation of google classroom: Basis for the adaptation of gsuite e-learning platform. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, Arts and Sciences, 5(1), 47-51.
- Wijaya, A. (2016). Analysis of factors affecting the use of Google Classroom to support lectures. In The 5th International Conference on Information Technology and Engineering Application (ICIBA2016). Bina Darma University.
- Yohana, M. (2020). Students’ learning Performance in Using Google Classroom as Learning Management Systemi in English Education Department UIN Suska Riau (Doctoral dissertation, Universitas Islam Negeri Sultan Syarif Kasim Riau).